Traveling Across Time Zones With Your Baby
- Let nature do it’s job! You can do this by getting sunlight exposure. If your baby is used to going to bed at 7pm normally and your little one is showing signs of sleepiness at 3pm GET OUTSIDE! This will suppress the release of melatonin and will help your baby stretch a little longer. On the first night they may not be able to make it to their adjusted bedtime, but it’ll be much more helpful for them to go to bed at 6pm rather than 4!
- Follow normal mealtimes. You may be so tired after travel that all you want to do is settle in at your destination and go to sleep but that is not going to help you. If it is time for dinner, EAT. This will help regulate your body’s internal clock to the new time zone.
- Stick with normal bedtimes. Now this is not so easy the first night of your trip. You likely woke up really early to get to the airport. For this reason on the first night it’s fine to let your little ones go to sleep an hour earlier. You can’t expect them to stay up until what their body thinks is 10pm! Allow some grace on the first night, but after that it’s best to adopt normal bedtimes as to avoid 4am wake ups. Which is exactly what happened when we recently traveled to the West coast from the East coast with our kids. It wasn’t perfect the next day, but it substantially better.
- Black out solution. It doesn’t have to be pretty, you can use black trash bags taped to the windows, tinfoil, towels, or a Slumberpod, which I really wish were around when my boys were little.
- White noise. Don’t leave home without it!
- Loveys.. Obviously
- Sheets right off your little one’s bed. Don’t go for freshly laundered linens, we want sheets that smell like home and are comforting.
Your Sleep Bestie,
AM Smiles is a highly effective baby sleep coaching service designed for busy families.
I help you harness the power of sleep training to improve the spirits and lives of you and your family through proper rest. I’d love to talk to you about your little one and help you get back to living life well rested! ❤️